No fewer than 390 chil­dren are feared miss­ing since the Boko Haram Islamist sect attacked Mubi, Adamawa State last Wednesday.
The attack left scores of per­sons dead and property de­stroyed.Parents who escaped to Yola through the Camer­oonian border complained that their children have been missing since the insurgents struck. Maimuna Maiyaki, a mother of nine said she was yet to find three of her children who, she said were in a private school when the insurgents struck. Also, a woman living in Lokuwa, Mubi, said she was still searching for her five chil­dren four days after the attack.
A journalist, Mr. Solomon Kabila, told Daily Sun that eight of his children were still missing since that bloody Wednesday .
“When the insurgents struck Mubi, my wife called to inform me that she and the children were in the midst of the insurgents who were firing gun shots sporadically. Before she could finish talking with me, the line went dead. Since then, I have neither been able to communicate with her nor any of the children. My life has no more value as I cannot even eat because whenever I tried to put anything in my mouth, the thought that my little children may be starving in the bush always make me cringe with exasperation. I have tried to no avail to locate them. I have reached out to my contacts in Cameroon and Yola without success. Right now, I don’t know whether they are alive or dead,” he said.
All over Mubi and its environ, the tale of woe is pervasive. Two parents who are currently taking refuge in Vunoklang, disclosed that no fewer than 10 parents have complained of missing children and wives.
Meanwhile, many children have been found stranded in Yola. They were said to have joined other fleeing parents and their children in lorries and trucks. They are reportedly waiting to be re-united with their parents.
Some children seen wandering at Vunoklang, whose identifies could not be ascertained at press time, said they had escaped along with other adults in vehicles provided by the Adamawa State government from the Cameroun Republic. They claimed to be native of Mubi.
Other children said they escaped from Uba town when the insurgents attacked their homes, while one of the children said he lost his uncle, guardian and two brothers even as the insurgents abducted his mother and sister.
“When the insurgents entered into our compound, they slaughtered my uncle and guardian, killed my two brothers and abducted my mother and her sister. I escaped through the fence and ran into the bush,” he said in tears.
source: sun news