02:12
0

I try to infuse  African heritage in my work  —Tina Ugo


Tina Ndidi Ugo is a Nigerian designer based in the United Kingdom. On her recent tour of  Kenya for  Kenya Fashion Week, she decided to touch her roots, to showcase her designs in Lagos and Abuja. In this interactive  session with the media  at  the Eko Hotel & Suites in Victoria Island, Lagos, she talked about her work, life and passion.
Excerpts:
Prologue
My name is Tina Ndidi Ugo . I’m the Creative Designer of  Didi Creations. Didi Creations was incorporated and based in the United Kingdom.
We design  unisex clothing, bags, footwear and accessories and we launched our brand in June 2012 here in Nigeria . Ever since, we’ve been getting positive feedback. We started with the bags, then the jewelry line.
At a time I wanted to be involved in the manufacturing of the clothing,  the bags and jewelry but now  we have manufacturers from different parts of the globe who are my sketchers. I get my design ready and I tell them what I want for the bags and jewelry. I didn’t have any formal training in   fashion designing,  so  I decided to  attend a fashion school to learn dress making and sewing and   I’m  still learning .
We showcased our  clothing line   at the African Fashion Week London  and  at  the  Kenya Fashion Week in Nairobi  a couple of weeks ago. We are showcasing the same collection at the New York Fashion Week presently.
I call them the bou bou collection and  most of the outfits in this collection are free  flowing boubou which we made using different fabrics. They include   chiffon fabrics with heavy embellishments as well as  jersey fabrics and  lace with an infusion of  Ankara fabric.
I also use crispy silk fabric. Apart from the boubous, I have some outfits that are quite contemporary .  They are not free flowing but  they are glamorous  and  with loads of embellishments like sequins and  feathers  with an infusion of Ankara fabric as well. I tried  that also for the bags.
I try to infuse the African heritage in whatever I do. For the bags, I have two different kinds of collections.
I have  genuine 100 percent leather and I have the ethnic  collection . We  make bags from bamboo, coconut shell, cowry shell, straw and  any earthen  substance  we try to come up with. For the jewelry line  we do  statement pieces. Our  theme for the current jewelry collection is floral . We used different kinds of beads as well as  crystals.
Tell us about your education and work experience
I had my first degree at the University of Ibadan where I studied philosophy and political science. After graduation, I did my youth service as an insurance broker. Subsequently , I had a stint with an aviation company as a ticketing and reservation officer. I also  worked as a marketing officer  with a publishing  firm, then I decided to quit my job  in 2005. I decided to incorporate  my own business and began  with corporate gifts and interior decoration, but I’ve always loved fashion too.  In January 2010, I went back to school for my post graduate diploma in business management.
When I was done with that,  I proceeded to do  my MBA  in the UK  at Edge Hill University in Lancashire, Northern England and after  I decided to do my business full time.

Journey into fashion
Back then in school, I liked to be different from the crowd. Even when I bought ready made clothing , I altered them  and made them into whatever I wanted.
I decided to put my creativity into use by  doing loads of artwork  and  paintings on linen.  I made kaftans and  boubous. I was surprised at the  positive vibes I was getting.
At that  time, I wasn’t staying in the UK, but  I used to visit and people bought stuff  from me and recommended me to their friends.

Her childhood
I was born in Lagos and I grew up in Lagos. I had my primary and secondary education in  Lagos. I left Lagos for the first time for my tertiary education at the University of Ibadan.  Growing up was fun. When  my friends who were raised in Abuja and Port Harcourt  complain about Lagos,  I tell them I’m used to  life in Lagos.
I am the first born of my parents  and  we are quite close. I was a popular student  in primary and  secondary school and  I had  lots of friends.  I was a bit above average in my studies  and  I didn’t do primary three as I had double promotion.
I actually wanted to be a medical doctor as  I was a pure science student. I did physics, chemistry, biology for  my JAMB exams.

Do you regret not studying medicine?
Looking back, I think, I might not been able to cope. I don’t like seeing blood.  I don’t like seeing people in pains, rather than comforting them, I break down. I don’t think I could have coped.

I know you are a designer but  what is style to you?
Style for me is being in a unique piece that I’m comfortable in. I like classical pieces.
In most of my collections you see an infusion of a bit of vintage, retro and all that. These are classic pieces that are eternal.
Five years down the line, you have a classic piece and it’s still relevant, it doesn’t go out of fashion.
For me, I tend not to always go with the trend. I like to stand out of the crowd and  of course standing out won’t be pleasant to everyone  but as far as I’m concerned, I tend to do what I’m comfortable with even if the next person thinks it’s outrageous  or I’m over dressed. It doesn’t matter to me as long  as I’m comfortable.
When I was coming back from the Kenya fashion week,  I wore  these massive platforms of   about  7 and a half inches heels and three different immigration officers  stopped me and when  they saw my passport they  said “oh you are even a Nigerian” and I said yes, I’m proudly Nigerian. They said “Nigerians don’t dress this way”.
I was adorned with beads on my neck, my hands and in skinny jeans. I told them I’m a designer just back from Kenyan fashion week and they all said “no wonder”.  Fashion is my life. I like standing in the mirror to dress up.  I’m proudly vain.
Are you in a relationship?
Yes. My boyfriend  is based here  in Nigeria.

0 comments:

Post a Comment